It’s Burns Night this Saturday night, and to celebrate, instead of eating haggis and drinking whiskey, we’ve collected ten quotations about Scotland or by Scottish authors.
1. Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birth-place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.
― Robert Burns
2. “We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
3. “Oats. A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.”
― Samuel Johnson
4. “It seemed to him a very Edinburgh thing. Welcoming, but not very.”
― Ian Rankin, Exit Music
5. “You can cover a great deal of country in books. ”
― Andrew Lang
6. “There are two seasons in Scotland: June and Winter”
― Billy Connolly
7. “I’ve always loved Scotland, and I’m not a huge fan of big cities, to be honest. I like them to dip into for a bit, but I’m not sure I would want to live in one again."
- Iain Banks
8. “One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action, and filled with noble risks, is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honour or observation.”
― Sir Walter Scott
9. “By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”
― Irvine Welsh, Trainspotting
10. “Regular maps have few surprises: their contour lines reveal where the Andes are, and are reasonably clear. More precious, though, are the unpublished maps we make ourselves, of our city, our place, our daily world, our life; those maps of our private world we use every day; here I was happy, in that place I left my coat behind after a party, that is where I met my love; I cried there once, I was heartsore; but felt better round the corner once I saw the hills of Fife across the Forth, things of that sort, our personal memories, that make the private tapestry of our lives.”
― Alexander McCall Smith, Love Over Scotland
If you are celebrating Burns Night this weekend, then have a wonderful time!