I’m trying to publish my manuscript but each time I go to look at the print ready pdf file, it brings up a dialogue box telling me that Times New Roman is not recognizable. Because of this, the print ready file shows a bunch of black dots instead of words with words scattered here and there. I tried a different font (courier) and it converted fine. If anyone can guide me I would be very appreciative.
Hi Bekah, I’m having exactly the same problem (although it worked fine with a previous edition). I’ve tried uploading my revised manuscript in both Word and PDF format but get the same illegible print-ready file either way.
Oli – is there maybe a problem with the convertor at the moment? (During the Conversion step of the publishing process there’s an error message saying “manuscript failed print format compliance checks, attempting to apply correct formatting…” – although I’ve double-checked that my formatting is exactly as set out in the publishing guide, and it’s the same as it was for my first edition which worked fine).
Looking into this now, will post a reply shortly. It looks like an issue with Times New Roman. I’ll check the font installation on our converter box. More to come soon…
Attempted it a few more times and still can’t get it to work. I used a different font and it worked perfectly but I wanted to get it printed in Times New Roman so it would be readable.- Bekah 04 Dec 01:57
re fonts, Palatino Linotype seems to works fine as a close alternative to Times New Roman (though you may need to change the font size if keeping page numbers down is a consideration).