It’s back to school time this week – and universities will be starting up soon. Education can continue all through your life, so get inspired by these quotations from famous writers and thinkers. Or just quote them relentlessly at your children when they moan about school.
1. “He who opens a school door, closes a prison.” – Victor Hugo
2. “Do not confine your children to your own learning, for they were born in another time.”
– Chinese Proverb
3. “Education is not filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire.” – William Butler Yeats
4. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” – Nelson Mandela
5. “Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.”
- Albert Einstein
6. “I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.” – Mark Twain
7. “I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.” – Socrates
8. “If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade, plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people.” – Chinese Proverb
9. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Mahatma Gandhi
10. “Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.” – James Dewar
11. “No man who worships education has got the best out of education…. Without a gentle contempt for education no man’s education is complete.” – G.K. Chesterton
12. “Only a generation of readers will spawn a generation of writers.” – Steven Spielberg
13. “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” – Benjamin Franklin
14. “You can never be overdressed or over educated.” – Oscar Wilde
15. “The more that you read, the more things you will know, the more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
We hope these quotations help to inspire a love of lifelong learning!
nice very nice
The ability of education is to show one to think seriously and to think basically… Knowledge in addition to character – that is the objective of genuine education. As said by dissertation online, the point of education ought to be to show us rather how to think, than what to might suspect – rather to enhance our brains, in order to empower us to have a problem solving attitude, than to stack the memory with contemplations of other men.