We’ve often written about the importance of eye-catching cover designs – something that really shows what your book’s all about in one glance. Brian Jens of Designcontest.com explains general rules to keep in mind when designing the best possible cover for your book.
The Ideal Cover
Every book cover designer, author, and publisher has his own vision of the ideal cover, and that’s a potential problem. Why? Because:
a) An author sees the cover as the display of the essence of the book – they feel that they fully understand its message and meaning.
b) A publisher with its marketing department and other sales professionals see the cover from the point of view of attracting customers and increasing sales.
c) A book cover designer tries to combine the vision of the author and publisher, plus adds some visual aesthetics.
The Ideal Book Designer
Ideally, the designer should read the book and talk with the author, along with reading marketing studies and getting details of the target audience from the publisher. Taking all this into account, as well as the overall concept and current trends, the book cover designer tries to create the best cover they can.
Cover design rules
The trends of book cover design are closely connected with the trends of graphic design. However, there are some rules that you should follow:
1) The front cover should contain the book’s title, subtitle, and your name. It might also contain some brief words of praise from critics or a celebrity reader.
2) The best book cover design shows what the book is about at a glance. Use a simple design. Think of your cover like a billboard.
3) Use contrasting print on the front cover. When selecting colours, also think about how the design might look in black and white. Make sure that the header is readable at a distance and fits the theme of the book.
4) On the spine place your name, book title and the logo of a publishing house. The information must be clear, understandable and clearly visible. Bold contrasting letters work best.
5) On the back cover, in the upper left corner, you could write the book genre, to help booksellers place it in the correct section. As well as the blurb, include a maximum of three reviews, as well as a short biography, and author photo.
6) Place the price of the book in the lower left corner of the cover and the 13-digit ISBN number for the catalogue and barcode in the lower right corner.
And don’t forget to credit the book cover designer, on the cover, and on the copyright page!
Designcontest.com is a website where graphic designers can compete for your business – for creating covers, logos, and lots more.
dehumidifier guy is the provider of best dehumidifier reviews and buying guide. if you want to buy best dehumidifier from marekt please visit dehumidifier reviews from our website and choose your best product.i also suggest your for best
i also suggest your for best best dehumidifier.its useful for winter.dehumidifier reduce humidity from air
There are several options that you can design the ideal book cover. if you can use illustrator or PS then you should try to design your self, first you have to do your brainstorming regarding designs then you can create your design sketch on paper after that finally implement on design tool. If you don’t know about designing, then you consult an creative web design company, they will design for you an professional book cover.