Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be just for those in the USA. Great writers and thinkers from all over have penned beautiful lines about gratitude. Taking a moment to give thanks for the good things in our lives, and even recognising that the bad things have been a part of the journey can help us develop as writers. Here are 12 quotations all about being thankful.
1.“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
2.“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”
― Marcel Proust
3. “Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. “Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
5. “The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.”
6. “ In the end, maybe it’s wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as we have voices.”
― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
7. “We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.”
― John F. Kennedy
8. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.”
9. “My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since then has been a bonus."
― Stephen Hawking
10.“Got no checkbooks, got no banks. Still I’d like to express my thanks – I’ve got the sun in the mornin’ and the moon at night.”
― Irving Berlin
11.“Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.”
― W.T. Purkiser
12. “My gratitude for good writing is unbounded; I’m grateful for it the way I’m grateful for the ocean.”
― Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
We hope you’ve enjoyed these quotes – and we’d be very grateful if you could share some of your own favourite quotations with us.